Wednesday, December 10, 2014

That's why I am me : The art of over eating

Disclaimer : All the events in this note are true. But the writer in no way supports or promotes over eating. He himself tries very hard to be slim!!  Reader discretion is not advised  !! 

.
.

The first time when I was made aware of my eating habits was in my class 3rd when I almost single-handedly finished off 1 kilo rasgullas. I was in my maternal place during the summer vacations. That evening I went to the local market with my grandfather and returned with the packet of sweets. Daadu sat down in the drawing room while I took the sweets to the kitchen. Dida (my grandmother) took a glass of water for Daadu. I was aware of the heavenly taste of rasgullas from a very young age. That burst of the ras upon biting, that sweet flavour, soft but munchy texture. All these were enough for a kid to open the pack of sweets and start having them. After I finished the first one I thought there are so many pieces, if I eat one more no one would notice. This loop repeated itself few times. And suddenly there were just around 6-7 pieces left. I thought now it is impossible to fool anybody, so why bother; let’s go all the way. I would have finished it all if not for the guests who decided to pay us a visit unexpectedly that evening and my grandmother came to the kitchen for the sweets.

She found my sitting on the floor with the packet of rasgullas open in front of me. Rassmeared on both my hands, cheeks and my shirt as well. Luckily I was cute as a kid and my grandmother was the most patient woman in the history of world, so I did not get a scolding. Later that night I was a mini celebrity in the neighbourhood as the kid who almost finished off 1 kilo rasgullas by himself. Although I was not proud of any of my acts but I realised that eating 1 kilo rasgulla is not a common thing. And it is not a very good thing either. But I realised later in my life that my appetite is not what would be called as common.

Like the time in Malott, Punjab where as a kid I ate 5 rotis with ghee smeared on them with tadka dal. The aunty was amused to see a skinny kid ( yepp I was a skinny kid. Hard to believe now!!) eat that much rotis. Or the time when I contested an aunty in our neighbourhood for marathon golgappa eating. I was in class 6th. It was all fun and games till 40. After that the tricks started. She dared me to go for the teekhi chutny in place ofmeethi chutney which is my favorite. I could have said no, but I was in a different zone that day. I said let's do it. The first golguppa burnt a hole in my tongue. tears flowed inadvertently. After 45 I could see that aunty was also not liking the contest now. So I said to the golguppa wala INCREASE THE MIRCHI. !!!  No one was ready to back down. we crossed 50. A small crowd gathered.!! Something had to give. And unluckily or maybe due to some pre palnned startegy I got a chilli inside the masal in the golguppa. Extra teekhi chutney with the chilli. That was it. I gave up at 52. Aunty had 53 and was declared the winner. The prize was a large plate of dhai paapdi sponsored by my mausi ji. Aunty shared it with me as an appreciation of my fighting spirit. !!! Till this day we debate , that if it was just teh meethi chutney I would have beaten her my a large margin. I wanted a re match later but somehow my mother found out about the contest.And I got a sound scolding for entering into such a thing(I guess I was not cute in that age !!).  

One time in my class 8th when I ate 15 rotis with matar paneer for dinner. Next day somehow the topic of yesterday’s dinner came up during lunch. Everyone told about their dinner. When I told about 15 rotis, no one was ready to believe. I just wondered why. Then in my 11th standard once I invited my classmate Abhilash for lunch in my home. My mother brought rice for me in a plate. Abhilash later told me, that he thought that much rice was for serving both of us, and he was astounded to see me eating that much all by myself.

Then I got into college. Physical activity increased. I used to walk a lot from my home to college. My appetite grew!! It was during our sports event in our 3rd year that I surprised everyone at the hostel with my ability!! I just had breakfast that day. I had to skip lunch. So before an event in the evening I went for an early dinner. And finished off 18 rotis plus 2 plate rice (salad and dal I am excluding!). On one occasion I tackled 12 pieces of naan with shahi paneer at Soniya’s.

Oh shahi paneer.. !!! WHY ..SO… DELICIOUS.. !!!! 

Picture this. A nice and warm piece of naan. Really fresh with steam coming out as you tear it form its main body. You cut a piece of paneer from the shahi paneer and wrap your naan around it. Then you dip it in the gravy of the shahi paneer. Then  you chew it. Slowly. Then you pick up the sirke wali pyaaz and dip it in the hari chutney and put it in the chewing mix. What you get is a heavenly feeling of taste.  A pure unadulterated moment of bliss. Shahi paneer is one of the main reason that I can not stop myself from eating those 4-5 extra pieces of naan !! Generally Udit used to be my partner at the crease (table) and we played few very long innings.!!

But the peak of my eating came during my M.Tech. I used to have my lunch in the hostel, paying 25 rupees for eat all you can type of lunch system. And one fine day I ate 31 rotis and 1 plate rice. I know it is difficult to believe. But there are some people tagged in this note who can verify this. That feat took place in front of Shanti. Prakash, Priyank have witnessed many other such events (although the count of roti have been in the range of 20-28). Just days after that 31 rotis feat, the cost for lunch was increased to 30 rupees for day scholars. And many people claimed that I am responsible for it. Anyways I wasn’t bothered. One time we had to finish off pizza quickly before a movie started. We were in G3S mall Rohini. Mohit and Shanti will remember how we finished 1 large and 2 medium sized pizza in less than 5 minutes !!  It was during my M.Tech only when we were invited to Rachna’s marriage and I dined solely on paneer. Shanti says I had almost 750 grams(if not more) of paneer in form of various dishes, all by myself.  People said I will get fat. I should tone down my eating. But I was not bothered.

What bothered me was the behaviour of the owner of an eating joint during my PhD first year. They boasted of unlimited rotis with a thali of your choice. So I went there in happy spirits. And just after 16 rotis the staff started making face while serving. A part me said let’s take this place down and let’s keep on eating till the place runs into losses. Another part said leave it. And let’s not come back again. The better sense prevailed and I had not gone back to that place. I hear they have revoked the unlimited roti on thaali !

I have always been a bit heavier and taller for my age. I wonder how much of this feature I owe to my habits of over eating. But I have always believed in appreciating good things. And what better way to appreciate good food other than eating it.

P.s: Many times I have been suggested to trim down on the eating. So I have cut down on the rotis. Since past on year most of the days my lunch consists of 6 rotis and other vegetables (paneer!!). But we have a culture of frequent treats. We visit the KFC and the MEZBAAN and the GOVARDHAN quite often. And once I see paneer and naan I somehow convince myself to indulge for one last time. After 8 pieces of naan, 2 plate paneer tikka and shahi paneer, I am back to being myself.


No comments:

Post a Comment