It was a humid summer afternoon in the month of
April. The temperature was nearing 50 degrees. I was trying to run some
simulations in my laptop for solving Maxwell's equations using Finite
Difference Time Domain method. It was kind of complicated and new to me. I had
books, notes, papers lying all around on my desk along with my laptop. Work was
moving slow.
My little cousin brother got up from sleep and
came into my room rubbing his eyes, walking slowly.
“Dada, what are you doing?”
“Trying to find out the imaginary part of
effective permittivity of a multi layered metal dielectric composite structure
excited by a plane wave having approximate Gaussian profile” I replied absent
minded.
“I see. Can I play NFSMW on your laptop?”
I looked up from my notes. “Didn’t you hear what
I just said! I am trying to work here. Go watch TV or something.” And I resumed
my work.
“But you are reading form your notebook. I want
to use the laptop”. He persisted in his innocent cute childish voice.
“Maybe you can play in the evening? We will have
a competition to see who finishes a race in the shortest time. Okay?”
He seemed happy with the suggestion. “Alright” he
said.
He went off to the drawing room to watch some TV.
I resumed my work.
After around half an hour he came back.
“Dada?”
“yes.”
“I am hungry”.
My parents and Riju’s parents went to a marriage
in Dehradun together. Initially they wanted us to go with them but I was tied
up with my work in institute while Riju was not feeling well so they left him
in my care and went ahead. I being the DADA was supposed to cater to all his
wishes.
“Right now?”
“hmm mmm”
I got up from my desk. I too needed a break. I
went to the kitchen and made some maggi.
We were having it together sitting in our room.
“dada”
“Hm?” I replied with a mouthful of maggi.
“Who is a man?”
I was kind of taken aback.
“What do you mean? Man is a male who is matured”
I answered it in the most general way possible.
“When is a male matured?”
“When he can take responsible decisions”
“What is a responsible decision” he prodded
further.
Now let me tell you my cousin Riju is not your
regular 5 year old. He likes to think deeply regarding all topics even on
issues like what could be the origin of alphabets, why dogs are better than
cats, what should be the amount of water used for making the right magi! And
mostly I was supposed to have answers to all these questions. So I was kind of
used to having such discussions with him. !
“Responsible decisions means taking the decision
which you feel is the best in a given circumstance” I tried to explain it to
him.
“Are you a man?” his question was so honest I
almost flinched.
“Yes... I am taking care of you and doing my work
at the same time. In the institute I handle a costly lab. So yes I do think
that I am capable of taking the best decision, hence I am a man” I tried to
justify it to him.
“hmm. How do you decide what is the best
decision?”
“Best decision is the one which is in the best
interest of the concerned party” I was hoping he will be content by now.
“I don’t understand”. He stated simply finally
giving up on the topic.
“Neither do
I” I
murmured.
Next morning was Sunday. Today our parents were
supposed to be back. It was 8’O clock in the morning. A man used to come to our
society to take away the garbage on a daily basis. Everyday sharp at 8 he used
to ring the bell asking for the garbage. Today when the bell rang as usual I
was expecting him at the door, instead I found a lean young boy, probably
around 13-14 years of age standing at the door.
“Yes. ?” I asked.
“Saab, I have come to take away the garbage”, the
boy replied.
“But everyday Raam singh used to come.”
“haan saab. I am his son. Raju”
“oh. What happened? Is Raam singh okay?” I
enquired while handing over the dustbin to him.
“Haan saab. Actually few months back we found out
that my elder sister has got T.B. For her treatment we will need extra cash. So
my father took up the job of a night watchman in the neighbouring society. Last
night when someone was trying to break in a flat he went to stop them. They
fought back and hit him on his head. So for the next few days he won’t be able
to come.”
“Oh. Is it serious?”
“He got a nasty cut on his head. The doctor put
stitches. Hs says it will take roughly 1 month for him to fully recover”.
“I see. So now that Raam Singh is injured what
about the job of night watchman?”
“They appointed someone else.”
“But then how will you guys manage the treatment
for your sister?”
“We will have to manage sir. Maybe I will try to
find some work in Annapoorna dhaba, they need someone to wash the dishes. Maybe
they will take me as a part time worker. My mother was saying she will try to
findwork as a maid in some more houses”
“I hope they do. And what about your school? You
go to school?”
“haan saab. I am in class 6th. No
worries there. My school starts at 10 , by then I will finish taking garbage
and after school i.e. 3 pm, I can work in the dhaba. The main crowd in the
dhaba is in the evening anyways. I won’t miss school for anything”
“good” . I was feeling sad for him. “Do you want
some advance? “
The boy folded his hands “Nahi saab”
I was impressed. “Are you sure? We can adjust it
later, it is no problem”
“Nahi saab. It is enough you asked. My father
says god never gives us any more trouble than what we are capable of handling.
I am sure we can handle this. Moreover my father won’t like it if I took
advance form you”
I was pleasantly surprised at his sense of self
respect. Here was a kid not more than 14 years in age, but was ready to slog it
out with his family against all odds. Despite living in such dire conditions,
he still had firm belief in god.
A streak of sunlight from the rising sun was falling on his face; he looked matured way beyond his age.
He finished putting the garbage in his gunney
bag. “Achha saab” He started to go.
“Okay. Take care” I replied.
Riju was up and was rubbing his eyes sitting on
bed.
I went to the balcony. After a while I could see
him coming down carrying the gurney bag. He put it on his rickshaw. He got up
and tried to move it by pedalling, but he was not able to do it. He got down
and tried pulling it, with his right hand beneath the seat and left hand
holding the left handle. The rickshaw moved slowly.
I called Riju out in the balcony.
“Bhai, see there.” I pointed at Raju “He is the man”.
By that time he was out of our society.
No comments:
Post a Comment